Digital locker is also known as Digilocker is an online service launched by the Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DETY) under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology. DigiLocker provides access to authentic digital documents to a citizen’s digital document. It provides dedicated cloud storage to users who sign up for digital lockers to their Aadhaar or UIDAI.
Benefits of DigiLocker
Benefits to Citizens
- Important Documents available Anytime, Anywhere at your device.
- Authentic Documents, Legally at Par with Originals.
- Digital Document Exchange with the consent of the citizen.
- Faster service Delivery- Government Benefits, Employment, Financial Inclusion, Education, Health.
Benefits to Agencies
- Reduced Administrative Overhead by minimizing the use of paper and curtailing the verification process.
- Digital Transformation by Issuing Documents available via DigiLocker is fetched in real-time directly from the issuing agency.
- Acts as a secure document exchange platform like payment gateway between a trusted issuer and trusted Requester/Verifier with the consent of the citizen.
- Provides a verification module enabling government agencies to verify data directly from issuers after obtaining user consent.